didi davis food
After a long winter here in the Northeast, we dream of late spring strawberries foraged from our local farm eating until we burst with red juices staining our fingers. To tide us over, we made a Strawberry Sugar blend so we can have a little bit of springtime year around. Our Strawberry Sugar is hand-crafted with organic cane sugar and rich, bright-tasting strawberries. Delicious and versatile, there are many wonderful ways to use strawberry sugar. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Stir in black or Earl Grey tea, hot or iced.
- Lemonade or a lemonade and tea mix.
- Use as a cocktail rimmer.
Baking and Desserts
- Use in stewed rhubarb.
- Try in fruit crisp topping or cobbler.
- Lemon, caramel, or rhubarb desserts.
- Sprinkle on top of fruit muffins before baking.
- Very nice on top of a fruit tart or in a fruit pie.
- Sprinkle on butter/sugar cookies, scones, or coffee cake before baking.
- Use in whipped cream for desserts.
- Sprinkle on buttered and toasted breads, biscuits, or scones.
- Hot cereal, such as oatmeal.
- Dust pancakes, waffles, French toast, or crepes.
- Top fresh fruit, especially berries or stone fruit.
- Sprinkle on a bowl of plain yogurt.
Sauces and Sides
- Sprinkle on a spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette seasoned with a bit of strawberry sugar.
- Sprinkle over roasted onions.
- Grill or roast stone fruit (peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots) and glaze with sugar.
- Try a spoonful in mayonnaise and use for slaws.
- Make rhubarb chutney with strawberry sugar.
Ingredients: Organic cane sugar, strawberries.
I did a riff on Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins, substituting strawberries. Mashed the berries with the sugar and dusted the tops. Result magic
We love the fresh strawberry taste that comes with this sugar.